- 1 1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup lightly salted butter or margarine (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (1 lb.) package confectioners sugar
- 1 (6 oz.) package semi-sweet chocolate pieces
- 1 tablespoon solid vegetable shortening
Instructions: Line baking sheet with wax paper. In a medium sized bowl mix peanut butter, vanilla, butter and sugar with hands to form a smooth dough. Mixture will be very stiff. Shape dough into balls using 2 teaspoons for each. Place on wax paper and put in refrigerator. In the top of a double boiler over simmering, not boiling, water, melt chocolate and shortening together. When smooth, pour into a small bowl or measuring cup. Remove peanut butter balls from refrigerator. Insert a wooden toothpick into ball and dip into melted chocolate so that 3/4 of the ball is covered. Return to wax paper, chocolate side down, and remove pick. Repeat with all balls. Refrigerate on wax paper for 30 minutes or longer, until chocolate is firm, not sticky. To store, remove balls from wax paper and place in plastic containers, with wax paper between layer.