About the Recipe: I think it’s so important to have treats, especially around the holidays! Cinnamon rolls are my favorite dessert, so I wanted to create a recipe that would fuel my performance and keep me feeling my best. It took some experimenting, but I finally created a recipe that tasted AMAZING too! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
Ingredients for Date Filling:
- 135 grams of pitted dates
- 1/4 cup + 1 TBSP water
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
Ingredients for Dough:
- 180 grams of oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Dash of salt
- First, preheat the oven to 350.
- Next, pour the water over the dates in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 2:00 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the softened dates (and the water they were microwaved in) to a blender. Add the cinnamon and vanilla, then blend until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Set this aside while you make the dough.
- Next, mix the oat flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Make sure the baking powder is distributed evenly.
- Now, you can add in the warm water and mix well. The dough should be very sticky at this point, but more water would make it fall apart.
- Knead the dough until it appears smooth and easy to work with. It helps reduce sticking if you put a little olive oil on your hands!
- Flatten the dough into an oval or rectangular shape with a rolling pin. It should be moderately thin (approximately 1/4 inch), but not too thin or else it will tear easily.
- Spread the date mixture evenly onto the flattened dough.
- Starting from the narrow end of the oval or rectangle, roll it tightly so that the date filling forms a spiral.
- Cut the cinnamon rolls into 8 even pieces.
- Transfer the rolls to a small glass baking dish. Make sure that the rolls are close together for best results.
- Cook on the bottom rack for 10 minutes then the top rack for 10 more minutes.
- Let them set for 5-10 minutes, then enjoy your cinnamon rolls!
Macros per cinnamon roll: 3P/28C/2F