- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil plus additional for frying tortillas
- 1/2 cup onion finely diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce
- 1 19 oz can enchilada sauce (your choice)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 corn tortillas
- 16 oz cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 cup Velveeta cheese shredded
Instructions: In a large skillet, sauté onions over medium low heat until onions start to soften. Increase heat and add ground beef to skillet and brown until cooked through. Add tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper to pan and stir to combine. Turn down heat to low heat until sauce has reduced.
In a second smaller skillet, lightly fry corn tortillas in hot vegetable oil. Tortillas should remain soft enough for rolling. Set tortillas aside with paper towels between each layer to absorb excess oil.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
To assemble enchiladas, start by adding 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce in bottom of baking pan. Evenly divide meat mixture, 1 teaspoon of enchilada sauce and a small amount of both cheeses into each of the tortillas. Roll and place seam side down in baking dish. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over rolled enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
Cover dish with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until hot.